Who is John Arnold, Jr.
John Arnold is a 30-year law enforcement professional who in addition to serving as Captain of Detectives with the Essex County Prosecutor’s Office until his retirement in 2010, was appointed in 2014 to serve as the #2 leader of over 1000+ police and civilian personnel as Newark’s Deputy Police Director by Mayor Ras J. Baraka.
John Arnold’s extensive law enforcement experience and long list of accomplishments mirrors that of his well known father, former Newark Lieutenant John Arnold, Sr.
Corporate Assistant Director of Emergency Management
• Responsible for assisting with developing emergency management policies and procedures
• Coordinating implementation of emergency management plans and policies among affiliate organizations.
• Overseeing the development, implementation and evaluation of the emergency preparedness program.
• Development of inter-agency agreements conducting training.
• Conducting public safety exercises and analyzing effective disaster management services.
NEWARK POLICE DEPARTMENT, NEWARK, NJ
Deputy Police Director, Newark Police Department –
▪ Police Trial Board Chairman
▪ Commander of Legal Affairs/Advocate Unit
▪ Commander of Community/Clergy Affairs
▪ Commander of Situational Awareness & Special Activities Unit
▪ Member of Selection & Advisory Committee for Court Ordered Federal Police Monitor.
▪ Contributed to the Planning/Restructuring of the NPD with the DOJ for decree compliance.
ESSEX COUNTY PROSECUTORS OFFICE, NEWARK, NJ
Captain of Detectives, Essex County Prosecutors Office –
▪ Commander of the Homicide Division – Supervised the day to day functions of the Homicide
Unit, Crime Scene Unit, Homicide Cold Case Unit, Vehicular Crimes Unit, and Homicide Multi-
Jurisdictional Task Force including all homicide investigations, police related shootings, police
pursuit fatalities, and special investigations. Maintained an eighty five (85) percent arrest rate and
a sixty five (65) conviction rate.
▪ Commander of Gang and Narcotics (Viper) Unit – Managed and supervised Superiors Officers
and Detectives assigned to the Viper Unit and daily functions of the Gang Enforcement Unit, Gang
Intelligence Unit, and Narcotics Unit. Conducted middle to upper level investigations into criminal
enterprises of illegal narcotics, and criminal gang activity. Supervised the planning and execution
of search warrants and major scale arrest and seizure operations. Assisted in gang related
homicide investigations throughout the County of Essex with particular attention to Newark, East
Orange and Irvington, New Jersey. Oversaw monthly multi-jurisdictional operations which
included agents from the FBI, DEA, ATF, Essex County Sheriff, Essex County Corrections and
▪ Commander of Child Abuse Unit – Supervised the Superior officers and detectives of the Child
Abuse Unit. Supervised and conducted investigations into allegations of child abuse, sexual
assault of minors, and child endangerment.
▪ Commander of Adult Trial Section – Supervised the Superior Officers and Detectives of the Adult Trial Section of the Essex County Prosecutor’s Office. Oversaw subsequent investigations of all types of crimes throughout Essex County. Oversaw trial case preparation, managed all investigative personnel assigned to the Trial Section to include Adult Trial Section, Juvenile Section, Central Judicial Processing (CJP), Fleet Management, Forfeiture, and Witness Protection functions.
Lieutenant of Detectives, Essex County Prosecutors Office –
▪ Lieutenant of the Homicide Division – Supervised the day to day functions of the Homicide
Unit. Supervised and conducted investigations pertaining to police related shootings, police
pursuit fatalities, and special investigations. Managed vacation schedules and time off of
Detectives assigned to the unit.
▪ Formed and commanded the Prosecutor’s Executive Protection Unit – Established and initiated all Standard Operating Procedures (SOP), protocol, and training for the Prosecutor’s Executive Protection Unit which provided protection for the Prosecutor, Dignitaries, and High Profile Witnesses.
County Detective, Essex County Prosecutors Office –
▪ Undercover Detective in Narcotics and Major Crimes Divisions – Worked as an
Undercover Narcotics Detective. Conducted middle to upper level investigations into criminal
narcotic enterprises throughout the County of Essex. Participated in buy bust operations, wiretaps, search warrant executions, search and seizure, providing testimony in criminal court as an expert.
Responsible for the successful prosecution of several large narcotics organizations.
▪ Homicide Detective – Worked as a Homicide Detective responsible for conducting investigations
into homicides throughout the County of Essex. Conducted investigations into police related
shootings, police pursuit fatalities, and special investigations.
▪ Supervisor of Essex-Union Auto Theft Task Force – Supervised Detectives assigned to the
Multi-Jurisdictional Auto Theft Task Force. Responsible for investigating and apprehending
suspects of stolen automobiles and carjackings throughout Essex & Union Counties.
▪ Deputized Marshal of Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco & Firearms Task Force (ATF) –
Responsible for conducting investigations into the illegal purchase or sale of firearms.
Investigations also included gun trafficking, firearm thefts, and fraud.
▪ Worked as a Detective in the Juvenile Investigations/Prosecutions Sections – Responsible
for preparing criminal cases involving juveniles for trial.
▪ Essex County Sheriff Bureau of Narcotics – On special assignment to statewide criminal
investigations. Participated in wiretaps, arrests, search and seizure operations, and court
UNIVERSITY OF MEDICINE AND DENTISTRY, NEWARK, NJ
▪ Sworn Law Enforcement Officer – Enforced the laws of the State of New Jersey, made arrests,
performed routine vehicle patrol of State University grounds and surrounding jurisdictions, made traffic stops, issued summonses, processed prisoners, conducted plain clothes operations and was assigned to the Tactical Patrol Unit.
P E R S O N A L A C H I E V E M E N T S
▪ Ordained Pastor by The Church Of God In Christ
▪ Pastor/Founder of The Temple Of Refuge Church, Newark, NJ
▪ Ordained Affiliate Pastor/Church of The Covenant Kingdom Ministries International
(CKMI), Bloomfield, NJ
▪ Superintendent of Northern District for The Covenant Kingdom Ministries International
(CKMI), Bloomfield, NJ
▪ Installed as Senior Pastor of Whosoever Will Church, CKMI, Plainfield, NJ
▪ 5th Dan (Degree) Black Belt in Martial Arts
▪ Founded the NJ Branch of The Enshin International Karate, Newark, NJ
▪ World Sabaki Full Contact Champion Runner Up – Denver, Colorado
▪ All Japan Sabaki Spirit Award Winner, Japan
▪ Chief Instructor of NJ Branch of Enshin International Karate, Union, NJ
▪ Started a Program That Exposes Urban Kids To International Karate Competition –
Tokyo, Japan / Frieburg, Germany
▪ Trainer of World Sabaki Full Contact Champion
▪ Trainer of 2 Time European Karate Champion In Children’s Division
• Trainer of 5 Time North East Regional Sabaki Champion